Donella Hosten Receives George B. Daniel Award

After tireless hours of community service and extracurricular activities, Arts and Science student within the department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Donella Hosten epitomized ‘the spirit’ of St. George’s University, and as such was awarded the George B. Daniel Award on November 30th.

The award is named after a former student who contributed significantly to student development at St. George’s University, and is currently awarded to student government representatives on completing their education who have portrayed similar characteristics.

Ms. Hosten was identified as that student for the Fall 2012 semester having gone beyond the call of duty as a diligent student and representative of the Undergraduate Student Government Association (USGA). Since her enrollment in 2008, Donella has been actively involved in organizing and participating in different school events.

Throughout her four years at St. George’s University, Donella has been on the orientation committee for three years, organized the 2010 production of the Vagina Monologues, and organized two poetry events to raise funds for the Lupus Foundation of Grenada and the Cedars Home for battered women and their children. She has also served on the Undergraduate Student Government Association (USGA), the Student Government Association (SGA), the V-day Committee, and was the first undergraduate in a number of years to get the opportunity to be a Resident Assistant (RA).

She expressed, “I have never had a problem with volunteering and giving my time to help anyone, no matter how big or small.” Humbled by the honor, she stated “Receiving this award shows that people do pay attention to the little things in life. I did things to help others, not for any personal gain or fame, but people were noticing and appreciating, and it means a lot to me. Most, if not all of the things I’ve done here or participated in were done simply because I enjoy helping others and seeing them happy; and I will continue to do whatever I can to assist, because it’s a trait that’s instilled in me.”

The Happy Hill resident graduated in May 2013 with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Psychology, and hopes to pursue a Masters in Gender Studies shortly after. We congratulate Donella on a job well done, and wish her the best in her future endeavors.

Scroll To Top