2014 SGU/Rotaract Career Day Targets Parents

More than 1,500 students from secondary schools across Grenada and T.A. Marryshow Community College turned out for a record-setting SGU Career Day, held April 12 at the True Blue campus. The most highly attended Career Day since the event’s inception, students had access to career guidance in 23 different fields as well as advice on professionalism and the attitudes and skills necessary for success.

As the largest private employer in Grenada, SGU is well-placed to deliver sound career guidance to the students, informing them of potential paths to their career goals. Careers in medicine and veterinary medicine, tourism and hospitality, audio visual, information technology, and several other fields were presented by SGU’s own faculty and staff along with persons within the Grenadian community from various professions.

Each year, Career Day grows by leaps and bounds with more careers being highlighted and new features being added each year. For the first time ever, the University involved parents in Career Day, holding a special session just for them.

“Success at the tertiary level requires familial support,” said Colin Dowe, Assistant Dean of Enrolment Planning at SGU, who facilitated the session. “We wanted to actively engage parents and challenge them on the need to provide more than financial support for their children after high school. Education is an investment in your child and in your family. I encourage parents to urge their children, especially males, to think beyond fifth form.”

The inaugural Career Day parents’ session was very well received by participants. “The session was very informative,” said Lexy Alexis-Smith. “I decided to come so I could get firsthand information to properly guide my child on choosing a career.”

“It was a very enlightening and eye-opening experience,” added Michelle Noel. “I got clarification on several questions that I had, and as a result I feel equipped to guide my daughter about things like financing and educational pathways.”

Scroll To Top