Sun, Sea, and Family:  Students and Their Families Enjoy Beyond Spice Family Weekend

Sun, Sea, and Family: Students and Their Families Enjoy Beyond Spice Family Weekend

Families from around the world experienced a weekend of adventure, culture, and rich Grenadian history at St. George’s University’s bi-annual family weekend festivities this fall.

Since 2007, families have been invited to enjoy the country our students call home while visiting the True Blue Campus their students call home. Campus tours gave participants an intimate glimpse into the University, while eco and historical tours of the Spice Isle provided a glimpse into the beauty of Grenada. A journey to the rainforest revealed the famous Grand Etang Crater Lake and the 30-foot Annandale Waterfalls. Family Weekend also included a Creole brunch, a catamaran cruise, and a stunning display of history and color at Spice Basket, home to a sampling of Grenada’s performing arts and cultural heritage..

“Family Weekend not only provided us with the opportunity to see St. George’s University and attend the White Coat Ceremony, but also to see the Spice Island that we’ve heard so much about and meet the warm people.” said Dr. Seethamaran Ashok, who accompanied his wife, Vinit, a family practice physician, from California to join their daughter in Grenada for Family Weekend.

“Grenada is a beautiful country,” added Dr. Vinit Ashok. “I had some reservations about my daughter traveling so far to study, but those reservations were put to rest over the weekend. It was a great experience to see the island for myself, and to learn more about the place she will be calling home for the next few years.”

To ensure families have the opportunity to witness the students’ entry into their chose profession, White Coat Ceremonies for the Schools of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine were recently moved to Family Weekend. Dr. Jeffrey Keim, a plastic surgeon in North Dakota took full advantage of this, visiting St. George’s University for the first time since he was a student in the late 1970s and joining his daughter, a first-term veterinary medical student, at the School of Veterinary Medicine White Coat Ceremony.

“It’s very meaningful to know that my daughter has chosen to study in the University that gave me my start,” Dr. Keim said. “The education I received from St. George’s University was excellent, and I am confident that my daughter will be just as successful. The philosophy of the University by its very nature strives to guarantee the success of its students.”

Although the Fall 2014 Family Weekend is in the books, planning for the Spring 2015 Family Weekend – set for January 30 to February 1 – is in the works. Visit sgu.edu/familyweekend for further details and to register.

Scroll To Top